Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Steward of Time

I don't know if time is money, but it sure is precious and fleeting. So how can I best use the time I have?

Some major time-savers I've implemented are:

  • Meal planning
    • One hour every two weeks, and we're set. I know what needs to be on my shopping list, and what we'll be eating. Forget the daily stress of scrambling to make something, wondering what I have, and racing to the store for last minute ingredients. This saves me probably an hour every day.
  • Baking Day
    • We always have baked goods around - it's a must. So, I would often run out of things, bake whenever. Between meetings and events and outings, I was scrambling to find time and will to get baking done. I was even buying baked goods from the store. That's when I knew I needed a change. Now, once a week (usually a Fri or Sat), I bake about 3-4 different recipes. This lasts the week for potlucks, lunches, my turn to bring snacks somewhere, company over, desserts ... aahhh. No more scrambling. This saves both time and stress.
  • Household Chores on a schedule
    • Weekly chores are divided among the days of the week. Floors this day, washrooms that day, and so on. Then at least (ideally) these things get done weekly. Realistically though, I use it as a loose guideline. If I'm overwhelmed by the amount of housekeeping I need to do, I look at the list and do only what's on the list. Aaah. Peace of mind and, more often, a cleaner house than I had :)
Those are the bigger ones for me. They're all scheduling. Hmm. I guess I could have just said, "I save time by scheduling everything, goodbye". But that would be less helpful :)

1 comment:

Hi! Thanks for visiting! I love to hear how you save money and time. Please share your tips, techniques and advice so we can all benefit and, hopefully, help each other to become better stewards of what we have :)

Go Ahead and Share The Work Here!